Friday, May 11, 2012

The End of an Era



It's only a matter of days before I'm on a flight back to NY, leaving this incredible place that I've been lucky enough to enjoy for the last 3 months. The only reason el tiempo no esta volando is because I'm in the middle of writing papers and exams all bunched into this small stretch of time. 

I feel as though I've grown a lot this semester, which is ironic because I've probably been the most irresponsible and care free for the last 3 months than I ever have in my life (sorry Mom and Dad). I've had opportunities to live and travel and learn that I never could have imagined, and I've taken advantage of as many as I could. I've even been using a different part of my brain after becoming so immersed in another language (even though I did get a little lazy after Feria). A few weeks ago, on the 6 hour bus ride home from Madrid I took the opportunity to write down a few things that studying abroad in Sevilla has taught me. Actually, there are a lot. Here goes:

What my time studying abroad in Sevilla has taught me:

To try to avoid wearing short dresses on windy bridges

To have so much respect for people who live in a country where they don't speak their native language, 

Things can go wrong when traveling, they probably will; it's not the end of the world, you'll get where you need to go

On that note, don't put your bus ticket in your bra and then forget that it's there and have to beg the bus driver to let you on.

That I'm capable enough to learn another language, one that I may not speak perfectly, but that I can communicate and make friends in.

That it's a unique feeling to speak a language in which you can't fully express yourself, things really do get lost in translation, but what's important is to be able to explain your way around what you really want to say. 

People love the things, especially the food, that they're accustomed to. 

Lots of Spanish curse words....joder.

That I'm more adaptable than I think

That I need to travel with people who travel like me, and not with a big group.

Traveling alone isn't as scary as it seems; with that, sometimes doing things by yourself can be more enjoyable.

You don't get if you don't ask (Chuck Newman)

I have a terrible sense of direction, but I'll eventually learn a city. I need to pay attention to where I'm going

Traveling isn't just sight seeing, it's mostly about who you meet, at least for me

There's always another option, you're not stuck in your chosen path. (The oil surveyor we met in Granada)

Not having responsibilities is pretty awesome

Don't be afraid to do things, you wont get the experience you want if you dont get out of your comfort zone. 

It's ok to regret things, if you don't regret, you'll never learn. 

Always have a bag with zippers, and check it often

Too much garlic, too much salt, and too much ham is very possible. 

To walk everywhere

Don't be hungover for 3 hour tours of La Alhambra or La Mezquita de Cordoba. Or in class. 

To appreciate having control over my own food and what goes into it.

Dulces usually look better than they taste

To wear closed toed shoes at Feria and in mosh pits.

To appreciate fines for not picking up dog poop. 

Some of those are cheesy, but they've been important lessons for me to learn. I'll just try to enjoy my last 4 days around the tests and papers. To the Cadiz for the beach tomorrow! So no...I'm not studying too hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment