Sunday, May 13, 2012

SNewman and Dr. Oz go to Cadiz

Liz and I decided to spend one of our last free days in the lovely city of Cadiz, the oldest continually populated city in the western hemisphere. After a slightly stressful morning due to a serious lack of sleep and excessive powerwalking, we made it to Cadiz, which really feels like a little beach town. It was a relief from the weather in Sevilla, which right now is about 105 F in the sun. Cadiz was cooler and breezier and beautiful to walk around. Soon we realized that things in Cadiz are much closer together than they seem on the map, it's a very small city. We walked past the ayuntamiento and the very grand cathedral, through a few plazas and stumbled upon the Marcado Central, selling some crazy looking, but very fresh seafood, fruit and ham (as usual). We took a bocadillo break there and bought some fresh fresas to snack on. I spent that time watching the olive man, who was very animated selling his olives. We tried some free samples, the oliviest olives I've ever eaten. Then we made our way to the beach, it was great beach weather. The water was a little cold, but I spent a good amount of time swimming in circles. The beach culture in Europe was a little bit of a surprise to me, but I guess it's what I should have expected. There were a lot of topless women, or nearly, pregnant women in bikinis, and speedos everywhere! It was easy not to give a crap what I looked like when everyone else didn't either!

(All pictures stolen from Liz because I'm lazy)




No comments:

Post a Comment