Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oops

Oops...didn't get too much homework done today. I went to the river and wrote about half an essay, then got a text from Alberto saying they were at the river, so I spent the rest of the day trying to keep up with all the bromas (jokes) and accents in their conversations. That's totally a form of studying since I spoke/listened to Spanish all day. One of the fun parts is that a few of the people I was hanging out with barely speak English at all, so sometimes they ask me to speak in English to see if they can understand me, and usually they can't! So i don't feel so bad when I can't understand certain things in Spanish, because I can still communicate much better than they can in another language. It's a small triumph for me. One of the guys who asked me to speak English got this completely blank look on his face when I started talking, which I'm sure is a look that occurs all too often on my face here. Now back to warky-wark. I have to analyze a poem by Rosalia de Castro, a Galician poet known for beautiful, but depressing poetry. I also have to write a very short "autobiography" of myself based one the themes of Antonio Machado's Retrato. Not so bad...now I'm just procrastinating.

2 comments:

  1. Spare me the monkeys---and the pigeons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting down by the river did not seem very conducive to actual studying...to much sun and fun down there. But speaking Spanish is one of the main reasons you are there, so go for it.

    ReplyDelete