Monday, March 5, 2012

Tutorias

There's a program through CC-CS which sets us up as tutors for kids learning English in Sevilla. The kids we get can be any age, I got lucky and I'm tutoring a 16 year old girl named Paula who's very sweet. She can understand me if I talk a bit more slowly than my usual pace and she can speak a bit, but sometimes gets a bit flustered. She can definitely speak way more English than I could Spanish when I was 16! I go to her flat for an hour every Monday and Thursday and we just chat for a bit (I get 10 euro an hour! Wee!). In the schools here they teach British English, which gets a little confusing for me when I try to help her with her homework. Mostly I just try to keep up a conversation and ask her to tell me stories or plans so she can practice speaking. Today we started talking about money and how it's different in the U.S., she asked me to bring American money next time because she's never seen it before. I told her that I go to college over 2 hours away from home and she thought that was crazy. In Spain, most students go to college in their hometown and live with their parents throughout. It's interesting for me too to talk about Sevilla and how she's growing up there, yay!

2 comments: