Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ay Cabron!

Today I met with my speaking partner, Alejandro, again. He's really nice and interesting to talk to; we meet for coffee and spend about half the time talking in Spanish and half in English. He says my Spanish is very good! Somehow in our conversation, it came up that when Spanish guys greet their friends they'll say something like "Ay cabron!" which we figured out to mean something along the lines of "Hey asshole!". However, I ended up giving Alejandro an awkward lesson in the correct pronunciation of "asshole" because, since he knew how it is spelled, he pronounces is "aSHole". All in all a very entertaining conversation to have.

It made me feel better because when I speak to Spanish people, I sometimes have to ask them to speak a little bit more slowly so I can understand everything. When I started speaking English, Alejandro had to ask me to speak more slowly! That's the first time that's happened to me, so I'm glad to know it goes both ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment