Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Martes

I'm starting to settle into a routine here in Sevilla, but it's been a great day anyway. We woke up at 8 to have pan y cafe (I can't do these small breakfasts, I stocked up on granola bars) and get to school. I'm perfecting our route to school and I think the walk is about 15 minutes. The Sevillanos walk so slowly everywhere they go! I've heard some say that Americans are obvious because they walk so quickly. When I don't have to be anywhere on time I try to slow my pace, but I still seem to be cutting in front of people all the time!

I came home for lunch with my senora around 2, got a little work done, and then met up with my intercambio (speaking partner) at 4! His name is Alejandro. We met at the Triana Bridge and walked to a cafe to talk for a bit. He complimented my Spanish and said that his first speaking partner had refused to speak Spanish at all because she felt that she couldn't, and they would speak in English the entire time. I spoke only Spanish and he spoke both Spanish and English and we worked on correcting each other. He said he had learned most of his English from watching American TV and movies, which was impressive because he spoke fairly well. He graduated from the University of Sevilla with a degree in Human Resources, but is currently unemployed because the economy in the south of Spain is so bad. He plans to leave the country and find a job elsewhere, probably in London, in a few months. I really liked talking to him and I'm so glad I got such a friendly, interesting intercambio. Que suerte!

I had class at 6, an hour long class called Cultural Realities of Spain. It last the whole semester and only meets once a week. We talk about what's going on currently in Spain, adjusting to Spanish life, and other random interesting things. I guess I didn't eat enough for lunch because I was starving when I left class. I stopped in a bakery and got the most amazing chocolate croissant, warm and gooey and delicious.

As I was walking home to cenar with my senora, I had to stop to look at the view from the Triana Bridge, which I get to cross every day. I've posted the picture I took, but it didn't do justice to how beautiful the light looked reflected in the water from the Los Remedios bridge. I'm keeping a mental picture too. I also took a blurry picture of La Giralda lit up right next to the almost full moon. I can't believe I'm living here!



Vamos al Calle Alfalfa esta noche! It's a bar area I have yet to explore, free sangria anyone? It's probably a bad idea since I have to wake up at 8, but I'll take a serious siesta tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment