Monday, February 13, 2012

Snewman Tries Sevici

Sevici is a bike service in Sevilla. It has stations all around the city and a pass only costs 22 euro. You can pick up a bike at any station and drop it off at another to get across the city. I thought this would be a great idea when I bought it, and it is, I just didn't realize how clueless I am. Today is Sunday, and it's the first week of school, so I don't have much work yet, so of course I was ready to wander and enjoy the beautiful day. Bre was down for some exploring so we decided to meet in Plaza de Espana, a perfect chance to try out my bike pass. I found the nearest station and spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to scan my card. After that, I went through the whole process, but then couldn't remove the bike from it's station. Finally, un chico came up to help me and showed me that I have to get the bike out a little quicker. He's was speaking 100 miles a minute, so a little hard to understand, but of course, he was very friendly and helpful.

So I have my bike out, and I get it to the right height to ride. I started out pretty well, there are a lot of bike lanes, but when I got to a main road with no bike lanes I got confused, so I went on the sidewalk. People didn't seem to care whether I was in the street or the sidewalk, but I was afraid of crashing into someone, so I took a ramp that went down closer to the river. It turned out that it led only to a set of stairs, so I kinda bumped down a few of those and then realized I had to get back up again. Finally I got back to the street and made it to Plaza de Espana with only a few minor hiccups. I'm hoping I'll get better at this because I'm sure I looked completely ridiculous.

I met up with Bre and we chatted and wandered around Parque de Maria Luisa which surrounds the Plaza. It's incredible, It's a lot bigger than we thought with beautiful gardens and ponds and bridges and gazebos, very romantic. We walked for a few hours and then wandered back to Triana and decided to reward ourselves with some dulces (baked goods) in a confiteria near my apartment. So delicious, but so much sugar!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure...and great exercise too. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete