Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Routine

I'm finally settling into a bit of a routine, but it still feels like vacation so it's hard to get the motivation to do work. There's also so much to do all the time, I haven't been spending much time considering schoolwork and working on travel plans. Luckily I don't have much work yet, and the assignments I do have are pretty easy. Mostly, the classes I'm in right now are focused on making my conversational Spanish better, so I try to participate a lot. My profesora in my Current Spanish Language Usage class mostly teaches us colloquialisms and "tacos" (swear words)...it's a fun class. A few of us call the doors to the center "Las Puertas Magicas" becuase once we walk in we have to speak in Spanish.

I'm super tired because my new Spanish friends love to party, and they're down to do so at any time. Siestas are always welcome. Currently I just got back from class, I'm about to have lunch with my senora, and I'm meeting my intercambio (speaking partner), Alejandro, at 4 for coffee. Then I have class, Cultural Realities, where we basically just talk about what it's like living in Spain for an hour once a week. Then I'll get a bit of work done, and it looks like I'll be going out tonight!

I'm in a Regional Folk Dance class that meets for an hour on Monday and Wednesday nights as well. It's been...interesting so far. We're doing traditional Sevillano dances with Flamenco influences. The rhythms are very hard to follow, but the steps are easy enough. Coordinating arm movements and steps is getting more difficult, especially because our teacher tells us we need to be suave and sensual at the same time. The class lasts for the whole semester, so I think I'll have time to get better. What I really need to learn now is how to salsa!

1 comment: