Monday, February 6, 2012

¡Finalmente!

Finally I´ve got the chance to get on a computer and update! There`s so much I have to write about, it might be a little jumbled. It`s also difficult to switch my brain from Spanish to English, I get a litttle confused sometimes!

I live in a barrio (neighborhood) called Triana. I´ve hear it described as the Brooklyn of Sevilla. It´s very beautiful. The apartment we live in is about a cute little cafe called Charlotte and there are a bunch of bars, cafes and small tiendas (stores) lining the street. We´re very close to a popular bar area, Calle Betis, which is along the rio (river). Many of the Sevillanos are very friendly and for the most part are patient with me as I practice my Spanish.

My señora is very nice, but very hard to understand. She has a thick Andalucian accent where she doesn´t pronounce any s`s and drops off at the end of words. I´m getting better!

Today was our first day of classes at CCCS. We start with an intesive period for the first three week. Classes are monday through friday from 9 to 1:30. Right now I`m in Current Day Spanish Usage and Oral Communication. It`s a lot of speaking practice, which is great. I`ve even gotten some compliments on my Spanish from the people I meet when I go out, but I have a lot of room for improvement. We had to sign a pledge that we would not speak any English for our time in Sevilla, we still do sometimes, but we try not to!

Later today I have a Regional Folk Dance class, which I don`t remember signing up for, but I´m really excited to try it!

Today we just returned from tapas at a restaurant near La Giralda called Pimiento. I had bacalao con cebolla (fried cod with caramelized onions) and a dish of grilled goat cheese (I don`t rememeber the name). People here eat lunch around 2 or later and dinner after 9. It`s taking some getting used to, but I kind of like the schedule.

Yesterday (sunday) I woke up at noon after staying out til 4 on Calle Betis. The bars were still crowded when I went home! I went on a churro hunt with a couple girls from Lehigh, and we ended up with the largest piece of fried dough I`ve ever seen. It comes with cups of thick, delicious hot chocolate. Then I went on a 2 hour kayaking trip down El Rio Guadalquivir with a group from CCCS. It was beautiful, and even though it´s cold out, it was strangely warm on the river. Then I went to tomar copas (get drinks) with my roommate and some other girls on the program. Around 9 we returned home to cenar (have dinner) with our señora. All in all a very busy day!

I finally got wifi (here it`s prnounced weefee) at home, so once I get there I`ll post pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start and it looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete